When you see our Outreach activities at All Saints’ what we hope becomes apparent is our attempt to share our good fortune locally, nationally and globally. You may also notice that our outreach is both ‘elbow-grease’ and ‘checkbook’. We seek a healthy balance of both.
All Saints’ Church is enveloped by a geographical portion of Philadelphia which includes both poverty and affluence. The needs of the impoverished go without saying and there are more hands held out than we can touch. Consequently we have to choose carefully, based on our resources, how we can help.
The majority of our efforts are guided under the auspices of our Episcopal Church Women. ECW provides us structure for implementing help to others. Examples include:
- Church World Service’s “Blanket Sunday” observed annually.
- Layette Sunday in which our knitters and other volunteers donate hundreds of handmade infant clothing and maternity items to a local maternity center for disadvantaged mothers who are often single.
- Episcopal Relief and Development (ER-D) with twice-a-year parish collections.
- United Thank Offering sent once a year to the UTO national office.
We also support the Northeast Committee on Homelessness with two All Saints’ teams who rotate to make and serve Saturday and holiday meals for 75-100 people. This outreach operates independently of ECW and is joined by other local volunteers.
Additionally, grants are made annually to organizations locally and nationally:
- St. Joseph’s Indian School in South Dakota.
- St. Francis Academy for children needing help with learning skills
- The Who So Ever Gospel Mission, a local outreach mission.
- Holiday House, the long-time Girls’ Friendly Society in Cape May, NJ.
- Hearts for Autism Organization.
- Navajo Women and Their Families.
- The Somerton Food Bank, a Philadelphia neighborhood food bank.
- The Community Care Center in the Torresdale neighborhood of Philadelphia.
- The Seamen’s Church Institute serving the commercial port of Philadelphia/Camden.
- Covenant House, a Philadelphia youth shelter
Looking for more information about Outreach at All Saints’?
Contact Michael Wilkie or Nora Perry. They are available through the church office at 215-637-8787.